This is a “waypoint” assignment, on the way towards your Project 2 (Map / Environment / Landscape / Visualization).
For Tuesday, Feb 23rd, but preferably sooner, please:
- Read this 7-page article by Marian Doerk on Critical Infovis, which introduces some more helpful vocabulary for considering the politics of maps.
- Browse around through Radical Cartography, which contains many small, quickly executed, elegant and stimulating projects.
- Watch this 9-minute video about Trevor Paglen, who attempts to map the hidden landscape of our nation’s surveillance infrastructure.
- Watch a good portion (say, at least 15-20 minutes) of this enjoyable 40-minute lecture by Eric Fischer, who uses maps to understand how to make cities more walkable.
- Write a brief blog post describing a project proposal (or two) for Project 2, your Map/Environment/Landscape/Visualization project. Please include some images, references, and links. Categorize your blog post with the WordPress category, 02-Waypoint.
- If you know what you want to work on for the Map/Environment/Visualization/Landscape project, then by all means get started. Scrape, collect or otherwise obtain your data, start doing some tests, etcetera.