This course is a one-room schoolhouse.
Administration & Logistics:
- Welcome and Introductions
- What is the STUDIO; introducing Tom Hughes
- Syllabus Review
- Course Calendar; Special Events
- Student WordPress logins
- Our CreativeApplications login
- Welcome Form
- Access to the STUDIO
- Tuesday evening work sessions.
- Please don’t leave your things lying around, especially laptops.
- Clean up after yourself.
- FRFAF grants
- Thanks to DeepLocal, course sponsors
Zachary Lieberman in IdN Interaction Issue (December 2012):
We need to think beyond Jim Campbell’s Formula for Computer Art: (early 2000’s)
Delicate Boundaries (2007) by Christine Sugrue
- Poetic computation
- Freestyle computing
- Polyglot programming
Immersivity. We will see different forms of immersion. One form is the feeling we can have of being-in-a-place, as with a landscape painting, Imax movie, or virtual reality. But there is also interactivity, in which a system responds in a unique, open-ended, and tightly coupled way to the actions of its participant — which is immersively engrossing.
Interaction as it intersects with: generativity, transmediality, connectivity, immersivity.
- Christine Sugrue, Delicate Boundaries, 2007
- Theo Watson & Emily Gobeille, Weather Worlds (2013); Connected Worlds (2015)
- Zachary Lieberman, Más Que la Cara, 2016
- Mouna Andraos & Melissa Mongiat, 21 Balançoires, 2012
- Smart Studio, Brainball, 2007
- Jacolby Satterwhite, New York Close Up, 2013
- Rain Room (2012, Random International)
- Access (2003, Marie Sester)
- Sandbox and Under Scan (2010, 2005, Rafael Lozano Hemmer)
- le Monde des Montaignes (2008, Camille Scherrer)
2D Physics Engines