Welcome to the 2nd half of the Spring semester!
Here’s an overview of our remaining dates and deadlines:
Lectures & Special Events:
Please attend these lectures if possible! Various departments around CMU are bringing some really exceptional people to campus.
- March 16 (Tue) 5:00pm, Rashid Aud. | Amy Franceschini, Artist/Designer, Futurefarmers
- March 18 (Thu) 6:00pm, STUDIO in CFA-111 | Erkki Huhtamo, Media Archaeologist, UCLA
- March 19 (Fri) 8:30, STUDIO in CFA-111 | Machinima Film Festival and Game Night
- March 23 (Tue), 5:00pm, McConomy | David Familian, Curator, Beall Center
- March 24 (Wed), 4:00pm, NSH-1305 | Alex Pentland, Researcher, MIT Media Laboratory
- March 29 (Mon): 6:30pm, Carnegie Museum Of Art Theater | Ben Aranda, Computational Architect, Aranda/Lasch
Due dates for class, and other opportunities:
- March 15 (today): “Looking Outwards” pertaining to your proposed Capstone Project.
Please select and document one or two projects that form a partial background for your current research. Today we’ll also look at any overdue assignments 1/2/3.
- March 17 (Wed), 6:00pm, Proposals for Fine Production Grants due to Prof. Jim Duesing.
Also: Deadline for Prix Ars Electronica submissions (enter your projects!)
- March 22 (Mon): Capstone Proposal Due (we’ll have your proposal presentations in class).
Also: Deadline for Pittsburgh’s DATA Awards submissions (enter your projects!),
- March 29 (Mon): Capstone Sketch Due (we’ll review your sketches in class).
- April 5 (Mon): Capstone Prototype Due (we’ll have a capstone prototype review in class).
- April 19 (Mon): Final Project Due (Capstone Critique I in class).
- April 21 (Wed): Final Project Due (Capstone Critique II in class).
- TBD: Final Project exhibition (hey, let’s choose a date today)
Class Notes for March 15.
Some important tools:
If you haven’t already, you owe it to yourself to check out Karsten Schmidt (Toxi)’s ToxicLibs and Dan Shiffman’s PBox2D (+link) libraries for Processing. These tools have significantly boosted peoples’ abilities to make interesting stuff over the past year. Box2d libraries also exist for OpenFrameworks.
Things to See: Architecture + Projections
Studies in augmented architecture:
- Pablo Valbuena, Augmented Sculpture series (an early example)
- Christopher Baker, Architectural Integration Tests (nice explanation)
- Motionographer, Building Projection Roundup
- YesYesNo, Night Lights
- Todo, Artificial Dummies
- Julapy, Pachinko at Sydney Festival
- Benjamin Gaulon (Recyclism), DePong
- Sh.Pixel, Physical Projection Project
- Andreas Gysin + Sidi Vanetti, Piastrelle, Barre, Casse
- Hellicar & Lewis, Hello Wall
- Michael Guidetti, augmented paintings
- See also works by: Krzystof Wodiczo, Rafael Lozano-Hemmer
Things to See: Augmented Reality Experiments
- Camille Scherrer: Le Monde des Montagnes
- Emily Gobeille & Theo Watson: Boards Magazine Cover
- Zachary Lieberman & Marco Tempest, Magic 1.o, Projection Tracking
- Julian Oliver: LevelHead The Artvertiser
- Siddarth Batra, Stanford: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR3tQmxrPo8
- Markerless Augmented Reality (U.Kiel) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luYzGJN7kkU
- ARToolkit + OpenFrameworks: http://www.vimeo.com/1159103
- ARToolkit + Processing: http://www.bryanchung.net/?p=227