From the beginning I was quick to discover that I would have to pull back on the scope of this project. I simply wanted to display too much information. Initially I had intended to show a wide variety of statistics along with each characters influencing dialogue. This proved to be too much. Instead I chose to take a more straight forward approach and find a way to display the play itself in a unique way.
While prototyping this display method, I discovered a few things I thought were particularly interesting:
The picture above shows lines of poetry spoken within “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”. I found this visual representation of speech rather unique.
Another feature I found interesting was the obvious distinguishing line between scenes (as seen above).
Aftermath and Breakdown
Overall, I am happy with my final “poster” results. I do wish that I had been able to make this an interactive piece (which I may go back and do for posterity’s sake). One feature I would have liked to have been able to include is a “Last Words” pop up which would show a character’s last words in the play.
It would also be nice to figure out a method in which to display all of a play on screen at one time and still have it be relatively readable. I found that it was nearly impossible to display any of the plays I tested in a window less than 2000 pixels. Images ranging from 10k-20k pixels in width were the best for display, but were impractical when it came to navigating
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare came as a single file from Project Gutenberg:
I then removed the Sonnets and extra text placed there by Project Gutenberg.
During the process of parsing the large “Book” of plays, as well as each of Shakespeare’s plays individually, I found Java’s Class Pattern Documentation particularly helpful
Please be sure to check out the full version of the PDF displayed above. Google’s PDF reader is not capable of properly displaying a file of that size. Thanks! -M