In normal circumstances we will meet each Monday and Wednesday morning until the beginning of May 2013. Please note the following special dates:
- Power Pixels, a new-media exhibition at Wood Street Galleries, opens January 25.
- Sifteo, Inc. will be supporting a Sifteo cube hackathon for our class on January 25-27.
- [En]Coding Architecture, a new-media conference, takes place at CMU from February 7-9. The conference features lectures and computational design workshops by Dan Shiffman, Golan Levin :) and many others.
- No class sessions on March 11 and March 13, due to Spring Break.
- Golan will be away March 20, owing to the Resonate conference. Class still meets.
- The Wats:ON Festival, a new-media festival, takes place at CMU from April 4-6.
- Aaron Koblin will visit and lecture at CMU, April 10-11. Student meetings may be possible.
- Our IACD Final Exhibition is Thursday, May 2, at 6pm.
“P#” refers to one of our major Projects; “LO#” refers to a “Looking Outwards” assignment.
M Jan-14 P0 DUE; Introductions. Concepts: New media arts overview. W Jan-16 LO1 DUE (New Media Arts). Techniques: Processing, Max, OSC. M Jan-21 LO2 DUE (OF). P1a due (OF prep). Techniques: OF, Github. W Jan-23 LO3 DUE (ofxAddons). In-class work session. M Jan-28 P1 DUE; small-group reviews. Concepts: Generative form. -------- W Jan-30 LO4 DUE (Infovis). Concepts: Information visualization. M Feb-04 Lecture on Data Visualization and Generative Art. W Feb-06 P2a DUE (Data/Sketch); small-group reviews. Techniques: Vizualization. LO5 DUE (Generativity). Techniques: Generative form. M Feb-11 In-class work session. W Feb-13 In-class work session. M Feb-18 P2 DUE; full-group critique. W Feb-20 P2 DUE; full-group critique (continued). -------- M Feb-25 LO6 DUE (Interaction). Concepts: Interaction. W Feb-27 LO7 DUE (Vision). Techniques: Computer vision; Kinect. M Mar-04 P3a DUE (Sketch); small-group reviews. W Mar-06 In-class work session. M Mar-18 In-class work session. W Mar-20 In-class work session. M Mar-25 P3 DUE; full-group critique. W Mar-27 P3 DUE; full-group critique (continued). -------- M Apr-01 LO8 DUE (Capstone research). W Apr-03 In-class work session. M Apr-08 P4a DUE (Sketch); full-group charette. W Apr-10 In-class work session. M Apr-15 P4b DUE (Hurdle); In-class work session. W Apr-17 In-class work session. M Apr-22 P4c DUE (Prototype); small-group reviews. W Apr-24 In-class work session. M Apr-29 P4 DUE; small-group reviews. W May-01 In-class work session; final exhibition prep. -------- R May-02 Final Exhibition, 6:00-8:00pm R May-09 All documentation DUE (2:00pm)
In addition to our course calendar (above), you may also find the following calendars helpful:
- OMGPGH is an institution-agnostic calendar of new-media events in Pittsburgh.
- CMU School of Design lecture series
- CMU School of Art Lecture Series (generally, held on Tuesday evenings)
- CMU HCII Seminar Series and Z-Axis Lecture Series
- CMU Robotics Institute Seminars
- Carnegie Mellon’s official academic calendar.