For Thursday, January 14th, please complete the following before the beginning of class:
- Complete the class FERPA Waiver (also linked here)
- Review course logistics documents
- Looking Outwards #01: OpenFrameworks (OF) and OF Addons.
- Get your laptop set up for programming in openFrameworks.
Please carefully read the following pages, about course logistics:
Looking Outwards #01: OpenFrameworks (OF) and OF Addons.
OpenFrameworks is a free, open-source, cross-platform, cross-compiler set of libraries for creative coding in C++. In this assignment, you are asked to write a Looking Outwards blog post focusing on openFrameworks (OF) and addons for openFrameworks. Your blog post should discuss two things (note: they don’t need to be related):
- A project developed in OF that you find interesting (why?); and
- An OF addon that you think could be used in an interesting way (how?).
To find projects developed in OF, consider checking the following sites:
- Vimeo: tagged openFrameworks
- Creative Applications: tagged openFrameworks
- Vimeo: OF official account
- Flickr openFrameworks group
The following artists and designers are known to use OF in much (but not necessarily all) of their work: Rafael Lozano Hemmer, Camille Utterback, Andreas Mueller, Caitlin Morris, Chris O’Shea, Christine Sugrue, Daito Manabe, Diederick Huijbers, Elliot Woods, Beatrice Lartigue, James George, Joel Gethin Lewis, Josh Nimoy, Karolina Sobecka, Kyle McDonald, Sofy Yuditskaya, Theo Watson and Emily Gobeille, and Zachary Lieberman.
Browse the ofxAddons to see what’s possible. Click on a few to dig deeper. For example, did you know that you can write a program to export animated GIFs, or which recognizes gestures, or which generates QR codes, or which does optical character recognition? What kinds of ideas do you get?
Get your laptop set up for programming in openFrameworks.
To develop software using openFrameworks, you will need to download a development environment for your operating system, as well as the openFrameworks libraries themselves.
- OSX Setup Guide: http://openframeworks.cc/setup/xcode/
- List of Setup Guides: https://gist.github.com/danzeeeman/ed3d7b6942891b91edd3
- General openFrameworks portal: http://openframeworks.cc/download/